Pages

Friday, September 6, 2019

DFI Session 7 Meme this!

DFI this week was presented by Stef who came all the way from Auckland for wet and dismal Gisborne day. She didn't start though, that went to Dorothy who delivered this presentation on being visible and being connected. We connected via hang-outs. I had an inspirational moment and, while listening to Dorothy's presentation on visibility, I also had the Peddlers performing 'On a Clear day' in the background on loop. Note to Dorothy, it made the presentation-charismatic, inspiring- so much more powerful having this music playing; and to reinforce Dorothy's message, I turned on captions. Not on the song - on hang-outs. They actually followed what she was saying fairly closely although there was some weird amusing stuff that was nothing even close to the word Dorothy said. I was also impressed when Dorothy used the word 'egalitarian' a couple of times. She talked about the value of tweeting and blogging. Interestingly, on her slide of the clusters, Gisborne looked the biggest cluster.
I was looking forward to today's session because I saw there was some stuff on forms - which I thought I had a reasonable handle on, and sheets which I am absolute rubbish at.

Stef presented forms. Great presentation. I immediately made a copy. Some of the presentations I haven't been able to. Running a staff PL session on a Tuesday morning is not without its challenges and this Tuesday’s session was focused on forms. Relevant to today then. Ambitiously, I planned to show how to make a self marking quiz, a look at exit tickets and complete by showing how to get a file download through forms that is embedded and shares immediately to sites. This did not happen. At least, not the way I’d planned. Immediately the session bogged down in finding where forms are in the ‘waffle’ to an extended question and answer about the vagaries of choice in ‘settings’. Into the content of the questions, I thought I’d show how to insert a picture. Cue more questions-photo editing, taking screenshots, picture size-I thought I was 2nd year Ron Weasley in a world of digital muggles but maybe I’m more fourth book Cedric (and yes, I know what happens to that poor bastard - that's kind of the point). The next progression of learning was a caution about sharing the quiz but not sharing the editable form. This, I felt, is a super important basic as student voice for appraisal purposes are collected through forms. Whether it is an assessment or a personal reflection on your teacher, not sending the form with editing rights and access to everyone else’s responses is crucial. Privacy is not just about deleting your ‘history’ you know. But worryingly, according to the reaction, this was not common knowledge or practice. I hope it is now. When I finally got to the files through forms part and embedding, I had run out of time. Look, it wasn’t without its wins. ‘Ando’ was asking about inserting a screenshot of a graph and when I took him through it, said I had shown him about 30 things and he’d be lucky to remember five. And that wasn’t a complaint. He was stoked. We’re a tough crowd I guess. No violent threats? Tick. A couple of people say ‘thanks bro’. That’s a double tick. You should have heard the complaints after a certain staff meeting I was blamed for. ‘When I catch up with Yuiley, I’m going to punch him in the balls’ came from one of my friends and colleagues. I can’t repeat what the others said. But it wasn’t great. Anyway - I learned some new thing about blogs from our session with Stef and started making this form that separated questions in sections and made that only correctly answering a section led you on to the next one. I was, in part, inspired by Tim who had made a maths test that returned you to the start if you got something wrong.

Maps was next. Completely new to me, I enjoyed having a go at this and managed to successfully import the data from the google form we had earlier completed. Thinking that Tim was completely taking the piss when he put 'Gisborne' as his ideal holiday destination but he explained he was from Auckland - and that traffic...Here's my map:



Google sheets This was a deep dive. I was well out of my depth in about four minutes. Not Stef's fault - I'm just rubbish at this stuff. I had to often ask either Josie or Robbie who were sitting close by. I have to say I learned a lot. Little basic things like changing column sizes, manipulating data by sorting - using the wine glass. Dragging the corner to fill the boxes with the formula. Ended up making a graph comparing Robbie and Tim's blog hits with my own. Mine showed an incredible decline. I'm not discouraged though. Here's a chart I created using it:

Tim and Robbie both emphasised the tremendous drop-off. Several times. Thanks guys. Actually I went a little wild pressing buttons and am not sure I'll be able to repeat the fancy looking graph I've done here. We also looked at some blogs and watched a girl who looked about 13 screencast a video doing all sorts of stuff quite casually on her blog - embedding data and graphs. Made me feel well behind.

Memes are a new addition to our visual language strand of learning and also something I've also been thinking about this week. While most memes are for humorous intent, some are not - such as this example shared by actor James Woods; the symbolism is pretty heavy and nuanced.
Couple of my years ago my brother and his 8 year old daughter went hunting. She shot a deer and (as you do as an initiation) took a bite of the heart. My brother took a picture and enthusiastically posted it with the description of how she’d bitten its warm quivering heart. (and people say he's the nice brother). Turns out that lots of people don’t think that’s cool at all. A smaller, slightly more worrying group think it’s super cool. He (and his daughter) were memed, written about in all sorts of foreign news publications, youtubed about.  Now, I got memed this week. First, a little context - I hope I’m not oversharing. Slightly less dark than Woods meme: so a couple of boys said mean things (Snapchat? Instagram?) about my daughter -and it just so happens that those boys go to the same school I work at. Unfortunate for them. So I catch up with them for a completely professional but slightly less than friendly chat about it. That was a couple of weeks ago. And then I see this image that is being shared around created by another boy in the same level.


Obviously my chat was nothing like this. I just don't look that old!


So tools: quizlet, kahoot, google forms are great in that they give instantaneous feedback - self marking stuff is great. It’s part of the appeal of Education Perfect: data is immediately generated; students know what they’ve done: wrong and right. But there is a downside. One of the most important skills across humanities’ NCEA subjects (English, History, Classics, Geo, Media) is the ability to argue a point. Include examples to justify the argument. Expand upon and develop that argument. This is often more important than the content itself. We don’t give credit for generating the politically correct argument, we give credit for mounting a solid argument. And this is not easy for self marking algorithms because the content can take so many forms and won’t necessarily match the predetermined correct answers. You don’t get that instant endorphin hit that you would get from a google form or Kahoot (or complimentary blogpost comment). Now I love Kahoot - competition, leaderboards,funky music- the boys at GBHS are frothing for this stuff. I’ve created 43 of them: testing spelling, grammar, punctuation, film terms and genre. Generating a results sheet that downloads straight to my google drive is an advantage. Forms are also pretty buzzy and just as data friendly with columns of numbers and colourful graphs which leave me cold - but I certainly know data nuts who think colourful graphs are amazing and use them to show off to people who should know better than to be impressed by colourful graphs. Education Perfect has a feature called ‘Dash’ that pits students against each other in races to correctly answer questions and they go nuts. It’s learning. It’s ‘gamification’ too. But this is as shallow as facebook ‘likes’. Surface learning is great but that deep analysis that’s required is just not getting the love that it deserves. And while data can tell a story, there are other stories that it misses.

Robbie and Tim and I were discussing nefarious ways to boost our blog hits including sending the link to all our students and getting them to click on it. Pretty good way to boost hits and actually, the same sort of games get played by schools all the time regarding their NCEA results. Unethical?

2 comments:

  1. Can't imagine you less than friendly, but am glad you were, unfortunate for them is right, but good on you! I so hope it curbs the issue. You could try plotting some top MTB spots on your next Mymaps, then it might just look like mine.

    Interesting wonderings on gamification and Education Perfect. Perhaps valuable for recall but not rich conceptual understanding? See where you're going with surface learning. Decent reflection here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Josie. No more issues! I had to check your blog again to make sure MTB meant mountain biking and not something else I missed.

    ReplyDelete